Вестерло - Владивосток

My trusty Ural Ranger (aka Gear-Up) will be the one doing all the hard work while I drive it from Westerlo, Belgium to Vladivostok, Russia. My progress can be followed via this blog. If posting stops ... well, I'm either back home or some bear had me for lunch. Pictures -> http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/dommel5/Vladivostok/

Thursday, August 24, 2006

03-08-2006

Chita 03-08-2006

I wake up to find my laundry is as good as dry. After breakfast my escort to the service station arrives. This garage has been used by a lot of motorcycle travellers, they tell me. The people are very friendly and help me out with everything. While I change my tire on the sidecar they change my oil and filter. They see me fumbling around with the wheel, trying to get the tire off and of course someone comes over to help me and show me how you can do it the quick way. I feel like an amateur. Well I only have my Ural for 1 year now, so it is probably still new to me in a way. They also try to find the electrical problem. Some cables running from the fuse box to the frame have been damaged. They patch these and the problem seems to be solved. My lights stay on and the fuse doesn’t blow. The garage is part of a shopping mall so I take the opportunity to get some batteries for my camera and flashlight and I also stock up on food and water.
I get a message from Doug. He is en route to Chita. I choose to wait a bit to talk to him again. This is becoming a ritual. He works a bit on his bike (they weld his front shock), we talk and time passes. When we are done, we thank the people that helped us out. Peter, a local biker, takes us to a bankomat which is also conveniently located in the hotel Doug will stay in tonight. I am getting out of town. I say goodbye to Doug once more. We will meet again, most probably in Nahodka. Thick clouds are forming so I get on my way. The road is not that good and it is starting to rain. I have no lights, again. Apparently we did not fix the right problem. It is getting a bit too much for me and I decide to put up the tent and leave the problems for tomorrow. One more problem I noticed as I was finding a camping spot is a strange noise coming from my engine. I think it is the generator. Zavtra.
I type a bit on my computer and listen to Willem Vermandere. Meanwhile it is pouring outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home