20-10-2006
Kyiv
I have an early start and even forget to have the breakfast that was included in the hotel room. So far I have been unable to find anything that sets Ukraine apart from Russia. The stairs also have the bizarre 'odd' step. Most of the time, the first step is a little lower and the last step is a bit higher. It can be the other way round, but that is less frequent. This is normal in Russia ... and apparently also in Ukraine. (check the photo)
The last 50kms of the road to the M1 are under construction, so all traffic has to divert over local roads. Naturally the diversion is only indicated on the main road. After that it is every man for himself. Eventually I reach the Kyiv city limits and while looking for a good place to make a phone call, I spot a biker in the opposing traffic. This is a rare sight, so I take it slow to let him catch up. Indeed, he catches up to me and introduces himself as Cyril. My darling Nadya has been in contact with the Ukrainian biker community and has notified them of my arrival. I am surprised to meet him here, but it safes the trouble of the phone call. Cyril's English is amazing. He could pass for an Englishman. He is an English teacher. He is a good guy. He takes me to the local biker hangout and I meet some other bikers. Cyril is meanwhile occupied with finding a place for me to sleep. After some coffee, Sasha shows up. He will be my host for the night. He will go on my buddy seat to take me to his place. We do not get far however ... I have a flat tire.
My first flat of the entire trip! The tire was almost completely worn out anyway and I have a new spare ready, so it was just a minor set back.
We arrive at his apartment and have diner. He and his wife have a nice apartment. Their cat just had eye surgery, so it was a funny sight to see it walking around with a lamp shade around her neck. The sofa/bed in the kitchen was very comfortable.
I have an early start and even forget to have the breakfast that was included in the hotel room. So far I have been unable to find anything that sets Ukraine apart from Russia. The stairs also have the bizarre 'odd' step. Most of the time, the first step is a little lower and the last step is a bit higher. It can be the other way round, but that is less frequent. This is normal in Russia ... and apparently also in Ukraine. (check the photo)
The last 50kms of the road to the M1 are under construction, so all traffic has to divert over local roads. Naturally the diversion is only indicated on the main road. After that it is every man for himself. Eventually I reach the Kyiv city limits and while looking for a good place to make a phone call, I spot a biker in the opposing traffic. This is a rare sight, so I take it slow to let him catch up. Indeed, he catches up to me and introduces himself as Cyril. My darling Nadya has been in contact with the Ukrainian biker community and has notified them of my arrival. I am surprised to meet him here, but it safes the trouble of the phone call. Cyril's English is amazing. He could pass for an Englishman. He is an English teacher. He is a good guy. He takes me to the local biker hangout and I meet some other bikers. Cyril is meanwhile occupied with finding a place for me to sleep. After some coffee, Sasha shows up. He will be my host for the night. He will go on my buddy seat to take me to his place. We do not get far however ... I have a flat tire.
My first flat of the entire trip! The tire was almost completely worn out anyway and I have a new spare ready, so it was just a minor set back.
We arrive at his apartment and have diner. He and his wife have a nice apartment. Their cat just had eye surgery, so it was a funny sight to see it walking around with a lamp shade around her neck. The sofa/bed in the kitchen was very comfortable.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home